Find the program that matches your skills and work in Australia


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program offers candidates with work experience the opportunity to settle in Canada as a permanent resident.


Employers and potential employees are matched using the system, which is similar to an online job board. It allows applicants to use qualifications, work experience, and language abilities to meet Australian immigration requirements.

As of 2012-2013, the General Skilled Migration, Skillselect program replaced all other Australian skilled worker visas. Applicants must meet at least 65 points from the General Skilled Migration (Skillselect) points tables to be considered.

Within the SkillSelect program, there are eight different types of skilled worker visas. Each requires a different set of skills. Read below to learn more about the different visas and how to apply.

Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

For skilled workers, this visa is a permanent residence visa. You do not need to be sponsored by family or employer, nor will you need a nomination from a state or territory government. However, you may need an invitation to apply. In addition you need the following requirements

  • Be nominated from a relevant a skilled occupation list
  • Under the age of 50
  • Competent English

Skilled Nominated Work Visa (Subclass 190)

The Subclass 190 entry visa is a permanent resident work visa that allows foreign nationals who hold occupations on Australia's Skilled Occupations List to stay and work in Australia. An applicant for this visa must complete a skills test and be recommended by a government entity from the state or territory.

Skilled Regional Visa

There are different requirements depending on whether you are applying under the invited pathway or extended stay pathway. This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in certain regions of Australia for four years.

Graduate Temporary (Subclass 485) Visa

Migrant students who have completed at least two years of study in Australia can stay and work in the country for between 18 months and four years.

  1. Post-study Work Visa

    Under this stream, international students have the opportunity to remain in Australia for up to 4 years after receiving a bachelor's degree or higher from an Australian higher education institution. Applicants are not required to nominate an occupation from the Skilled Occupations List (SOL).

  2. Graduate Work Visa

    The visa is designed for students who have studied for at least 2 years in Australia, and who have been nominated for a skilled occupation that is listed on one of the Australian Skilled Occupation Lists. The study undertaken must be closely related to the nominated occupation.

Steps to apply for the Visa

Migrant students who have completed at least two years of study in Australia can stay and work in the country for between 18 months and four years.

  1. Ensure that as a candidate you have a minimum score of 65, that your occupation is indeed listed under skilled occupations, and that you are qualified to apply
  2. Before being invited to apply for a visa, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
  3. Candidates who achieve the highest scores are invited to apply across multiple occupations
  4. An applicant has 60 days to submit a visa application, starting from the date of invitation